From: gopher-bounce@complete.org
       Date: Wed Feb 21 05:10:35 2007
       Subject: [gopher] Re: ascii art

       > Interestingly, the Bucktooth Gopher Server (which is what Floodgap uses)
       > accepts some wildcard symbols (such as the "#" symbol) and will, for
       > example, return the root directory contents if you type:
       >   gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/#

       I did not evaluate the remainder of your message, but this analysis is not
       correct. What you're observing is a side effect of itemtype interpretation in
       URLs, and is not server specific (it also works with JumpJet). The # is not
       actually transmitted to the server; it is interpreted as the item type to a
       null request, which most browsers will interpret as an unknown item type and
       attempt to display as text. To prove that # is not salient to Bucktooth,

       % nc gopher.floodgap.com 70
       #
       0'/#' doesn't exist!            error.host      1
       .

       --
       --------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
       -- TRUE HEADLINE: Morning-After Pill Decision Delayed -------------------------