From: gopher-bounce@complete.org
       Date: Tue Aug  5 17:55:28 2008
       Subject: [gopher] Re: Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)

       On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Avery M. <averym@gmail.com> wrote:
       > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Jay Nemrow <jnemrow@quix.us> wrote:
       >> Actually, I have to disagree with the fate of the RFC.  If those who
       >> want to change the protocol insist on using port 70 and "obsolete" the
       >> RFC through creating a replacement, Gopher will essentially disappear
       >> as an established service.
       >
       > Not true. I will simply remove all links to any server using a
       > different protocol. While using port 70 to serve a different protocol
       > is rude and violates widely observed RFC decorum, it would only take a
       > minute or two to remove links to innovative servers; using this list
       > to discuss innovations is even worse because it clogs up my inbox. If

       I don't mind the innovations as long as they don't break old clients.
       I plan on running a vanilla gopher0 server as long as I have resources
       to do so, so as long as new clients can still talk gopher0, I could
       care less about the rest.

       > anyone insists on discussing this here and refuses to create a new
       > list, please let me know now so I can add you to my spam filter.

       As for the discussions, if we are not discussing innovations, what on
       earth would we be discussing on a gopher list?  This would be as dead
       as the gopher newsgroup often is.  Sounds as if you would like a
       very-low-volume list, so you might consider following the newsgroup
       instead of this mailing list.
       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)
       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)
 (DIR) Followup: [gopher] Re: Fate of the Protocol (was Re: Gopherness)