From: gopher-bounce@complete.org
       Date: Sat Jul 25 23:59:36 2009
       Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher support in curl gone

       Brian Koontz <brian@pongonova.net> wrote:

       > Despite having a version of curl on OS X (Panther) that supports
       > gopher, upon building the latest libcurl stuff on a Linux box, it
       > turns out that gopher hasn't been supported since at least 2006:

       >         * docs/KNOWN_BUGS: Gopher is no longer supported

       I actually contacted the curl developer/maintainer about this as their
       web site claims it's the most feature-rich of all the "non-interactive
       resource fetchers", while snarf(1) still supports gopher.  The response
       was that basically no one appeared to want it so it was dropped.  I'd
       suggest an email campain to get gopher support re-instated. ;)

       In the short-term I'll continue to use snarf[1].

       -Jeff

       [1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/snarf/
       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Re: Gopher support in curl gone
 (DIR) Followup: [gopher] Re: Gopher support in curl gone