From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Fri Sep 16 22:21:41 2011
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting

       Hi Kim,

       I have read this yesterday (thanks!) but wished to play more with the
       server before responding.

       Op 15-09-11 15:58, Kim Holviala schreef:
       > On 14.9.2011 17:10, Walter Vermeir wrote:
       >
       >>> "The primary vhost directory (set with the -h<HOSTNAME>  option)
       >>> must exist
       >>> or virtualhosting will be disabled."
       >>
       >> What hostname? I understood it as the hostname of the server, not the
       >> domainname
       >
       > FQDN, as in the hostname your users will use to come in. Again, badly
       > written documentation...

       Well, I had it understood as a FQDN and also configured it so. But when
       something does not work like you wish it to work you start looking at a
       reason. And I got the idea, maybe I have understood hostname here
       wrongly as a domainname.

       But regarding documentation, the part about the command line options, I
       did figured it out, but some practical examples would be useful there also.

       But.... that is a good idea for my new gophersite .... about how to
       setup a gophersite, my experiences and advice.

                So with the settng in xinetd at  -hvermeir.dyndns.org I created
       the
       >> directory /var/gopher/vermeir.dyndns.org
       >>
       >> The only result was that vermeir.dyndns.org did serv directly from
       >> that new directory but also gopher.wikizine.org
       >
       > OK, now we're talking, it's actually working.
       >
       > Gopher the protocol doesn't have virtual hosting. What Gophernicus
       > does is fake vhosting, the kind we used to do in HTTP in ~1997 before
       > HTTP/1.1 and it's fancy Host: header came along.
       >
       > The way it works is simple: if a user has visited any virtual domain
       > before that's where he'll stay. If not, he'll get the default virtual
       > host menu (in your case /var/gopher/vermeir.dyndns.org). The trick is
       > to have a generic "directory" page in your default virtual host
       > gophermap. That way a new user can select the vhost he wants to be in.
       >
       > Also, if content only exists in one vhost then the user is redirected
       > there.
       >
       > Example:
       >
       > gopher://holviala.com/1/~kim/
       > gopher://gophernicus.org/1/software/
       >
       > Both resolve to the same IP and are just vhosts in a single server.
       > Browse around my comics collection and you'll stay under holviala.com,
       > and do the same for gopher software and you'll stay in
       > gophernicus.org. However, if you'll wait for your session to expire
       > (or are simply a new user) AND open up the root selector then you'll
       > *always* land into the same root menu (as the system doesn't know
       > where you want to be). The way I solved that was to simply remove the
       > holviala.com root and combine them into the same gophernicus.org root.

       This explains a lot. It seems that I had an different definition of the
       concept "virtual hosting". Then it is logical "that it does not work".

       I will (at least for now) not use this virtual hosting. A gopher link is
       still a URL. I find it very important that a url always point to the
       same spot. In any case, that makes things more simpler, and that is
       where it is all about with gopher, keeping it simple.

       > =/home/kim/shared/code/gophernicus/server/examples/counter/counter.sh
       > "We're not counting, but you're visitor number " "."
       >

       > - Kim

       I have found at your gophersite stats scripts but .... found it!
       gopher://holviala.com/1/~kim/code/gophernicus/server/examples/counter/

       I like your visitor counter ;)

       Thanks for all the help and especialy for making Gophernicus.

       Walter

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting