From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Wed May  9 20:17:54 2012
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

       --===============2910879631439894631==

       --e89a8f3ba0e995117f04bf9e8369

       That's my purpose, to keep existing item and add Generic one.

       MIME types related things will NOT be adopted for the same reasons that
       Gopher+ failed...

       Just keep gopher simple PLZ

       --
       Damien CAROL
       gopher://dams.zapto.org/1/

       --e89a8f3ba0e995117f04bf9e8369

       That&#39;s my purpose, to keep existing item and add Generic one.<br><br>MI=
       ME types related things will NOT be adopted for the same reasons that Gophe=
       quote">
       2012/5/9 John Goerzen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jgoerzen@comp=
       uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc =
       solid;padding-left:1ex">

        =20
          =20
        =20
           Just a couple of cents from someone that&#39;s been passively watching
           this discussion.=C2=A0 Feel free to ignore me ;-)<br>
           If we might use one word to describe Gopher, it is &quot;simple.&quot;=
       =C2=A0
           Gopher+ somewhat violates this, and HTTP severely violates this.=C2=A0
           MIME types have their uses, and the Web and email wouldn&#39;t work so
           well without them.=C2=A0 However, even after all these years, they stil=
           aren&#39;t dealt with quite right.=C2=A0 If you click on a file on a We=
           server named foo.zip and the Content-Type header says it&#39;s
           image/gif, what happens?=C2=A0 And what happens after you do File -&gt;
           Save in your browser, then try to open it up later?=C2=A0 (Note: these
           two things are not normally the same!)<br>
           Proper mailcap and MIME type handling could of course be added to
           Gopher.=C2=A0 But I would ask: why?<br>
           I think instead of adding more types, we could remove types and
           simplify.=C2=A0 The would be:<br>
           <ul>
             <li>Plain text (ASCII or UTF-8)</li>
             <li>Binary data</li>
             <li>HTML text (ASCII or UTF-8)</li>
             <li>gopher directory</li>
             <li>info pseudo-type<br>
             </li>
             <li>Media</li>
           </ul>
           The &quot;media&quot; type would simply be binary data with a hint to t=
       he UI
           to attempt to display it based on its extension.<br>
           There are existing item types in existing specs that all of the
           above map to.<br>
           Let the client use its own mailcap, or whatever, to decide what to
           -- John<br>

       Gopher-Project mailing list<br>
       sts.alioth.debian.org</a><br>
       roject" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/li=
       - <br>
       Damien CAROL<br>
       o.org/1/</a><br>

       --e89a8f3ba0e995117f04bf9e8369--

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Updated Gopher RFC