From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Sat Jun  2 22:36:54 2012
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Any good programmers on here?

       On 2 June 2012 11:37, Bradley D. Thornton <Bradley@northtech.us> wrote:

       > On 06/02/2012 12:56 AM, Nick Matavka wrote:
       >> I've got
       >> a cool vintage Web browser (and Gopher client!) that used to be the
       >> W3C's testbed browser till they pawned it off on Yggdrasil, who
       >> promptly disappeared.
       >
       > Yowza! LGX! I used to base my ISP services on that and Jolix when it
       > became impossible to keep the Vaxen alive LOL!
       >
       > I've actually got the first few releases of Yggdrasil, and the first two
       > editions of "The Linux Bible - The GNU Testament", on my bookshelf...
       >
       > hm... let's see here....
       >
       > Fall 93 - Linux Kernel version 0.99.13
       >
       > Summer 94 and Fall 94 too.
       >
       > I've got one of them running as a VM, which I fire up sometimes, and
       > then there's my collection of old 386 boxes w/8bit ISA Ethernet NICs in
       > my Sea Container that are presumably operational if I just plug them in :)
       >
       > That's totally kewl Nick! I didn't know that about the browser though. I
       > spoke to Adam a couple of times back then, and have tried to find out
       > what happened to him (and Phil Hughes - original publisher of LJ, who I
       > *think* left the industry and moved to Panama or something) but the
       > trail dead ends everywhere I look.
       >
       > You have a great idea there though.
       >

       > It' s called Arena and it would be great to see
       >> it turn into Ygg's original vision, a GPL-licenced browser for the X
       >> Window System (uses Motif). =A0I would love to see this browser turn
       >> into an HTML 3 browser that would be lightweight and super fast,
       >> something like Lynx with pretty pictures.
       >>
       >> =A0I've got the latest version right here.
       >> http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/web/arena_0.3.=
       62.orig.tar.gz

       > - --
       > Bradley D. Thornton
       > Manager Network Services
       > NorthTech Computer
       > TEL: +1.310.388.9469 =A0(US)
       > TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)
       > TEL: +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
       > http://NorthTech.US

       Now that I've mentally woken up, I have something more coherent for you.

       Yes, Arena was taken up by the same corporation that assembled LGX
       (assuming you are talking about what would today be called a Linux
       Live CD).  Yeah, Adam Richter certainly was a man ahead of his time.
       Pity Arena was discontinued; it has its problems, sure, but it's
       lightweight, Gopher-compatible, and open-source, as a browser should
       be.  Mosaic-CK as written is not too bad, but I feel that an
       alternative might actually be viable.  Then again, I have a soft spot
       for old software (not so much old hardware).  I mean, it must be
       insane to use alpine as a mail client, lynx as a web/gopher client,
       ttytter for tweeting, NCSA Mosaic when one needs "pretty pictures" on
       the web, and ditto for GopherVR, and all this on a brand spanking new
       MacBook Pro, but there I am, eh?  Actually, I skipped the craziest
       part: I edit in TECO (yes, the old tape editor for the PDP-10),

       Anyway, I don't know if it's insanity or nostalgia, but I feel that
       Yggdrasil's vision is still as much of a possibility now as it was
       thirteen years ago, and, for some even more insane reason, I'd love to
       find out.  I don't feel like messing with Yggdrasil's plan; this thing
       doesn't need today's bells and whistles on it---it just needs to be
       stable and compatible with *simple* Web pages (Facebook is OUT).
       Hypothetically speaking, of course.

       -- Nick.

       -- =

       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/^\/^\
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0\----|
       =A0 =A0_---'---~~~~-_
       =A0 =A0 ~~~|~~L~|~~~~
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(/_ =A0/~~--
       =A0 =A0 =A0\~ \ =A0/ =A0/~
       =A0 =A0__~\ =A0~ / =A0 ~~----,
       =A0 =A0\ =A0 =A0| | =A0 =A0 =A0 / =A0\
       =A0 =A0/| =A0 |/ =A0 =A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0|
       =A0 =A0| | | o =A0o =A0 =A0 /~ =A0 |
       =A0_-~_ =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|| =A0\ =A0/
       //_- | =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0\
       ~ =A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 / | =A0 =A0|
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|_ / =A0 \ _|

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Any good programmers on here?
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Any good programmers on here?