From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Thu Jun 21 16:11:08 2012
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Draft RFC

       On 21 June 2012 09:28, Damien Carol <damien.carol@gmail.com> wrote:
       > I agree, every modern server I saw have "about" node and many have
       > "robots.txt" and "caps.txt".
       >
       > I think you should consider writing your document in "RFC" format.
       >
       > Many RFC only formalize use of techs like robots.txt.
       >

       > 2012/6/21 Nick Matavka <n.theodore.matavka.files@gmail.com>
       >>
       >> On 21 June 2012 04:16, Christoph Lohmann <20h@r-36.net> wrote:
       >> > Greetings.

       >> > I am against this draft:
       >> > 1.) The caps file shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
       >> > 2.) robots.txt shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
       >> > 3.) about.txt shouldn't be in the *protocol* specification.
       >> > 4.) The definition of the full stop termination of text files in
       >> > =A0 =A0this draft does not solve anything. It can be sent as before
       >> > =A0 =A0and clients have to take some magic to know if it is part of
       >> > =A0 =A0the content or the transfer protocol.
       >> > 5.) Why is there a need to include the HTTP error codes? Item type
       >> > =A0 =A03 and predefined strings should simplify it.
       >> > 6.) Who uses this TITLE stuff?
       >> > 7.) According to that draft proposal it is possible to have the
       >> > =A0 =A0URL: redirections in every selector. This would create much
       >> > =A0 =A0confusion without the =BBh=AB item type in conjunction.
       >> > 8.) Servers still have to provide the redirection hack. This draft
       >> > =A0 =A0does not solve anything there.
       >> > 9.) Why is there a definition of a redirect page? Why are people
       >> > =A0 =A0restricted in it? Couldn't it just be avoided?
       >> >
       >> > My =A0conclusion is, that with that draft in action gopher is nothing =
       else
       >> > but a simplified HTTP with hacks and more unspecified behaviour.
       >> >

       >> > Sincerely,
       >> >
       >> > Christoph Lohmann
       >> >

       >> If caps and robots shouldn't be in the protocol specification, where
       >> does one standardise such things? =A0Several people actually
       >> Google-Doced that these things must be there.
       >>
       >> What I am seeking to do is take a snapshot of Gopher as currently
       >> used, and there's no question that caps and robots are currently used.
       >>
       >> If I were to implement your changes, there would be nothing left but
       >> effectively the 1991 version of gopher.

       Mr Carol, just whom do you agree with?  Me or Mr Lohmann?

       -- =

       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/^\/^\
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0\----|
       =A0 =A0_---'---~~~~-_
       =A0 =A0 ~~~|~~L~|~~~~
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(/_ =A0/~~--
       =A0 =A0 =A0\~ \ =A0/ =A0/~
       =A0 =A0__~\ =A0~ / =A0 ~~----,
       =A0 =A0\ =A0 =A0| | =A0 =A0 =A0 / =A0\
       =A0 =A0/| =A0 |/ =A0 =A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0|
       =A0 =A0| | | o =A0o =A0 =A0 /~ =A0 |
       =A0_-~_ =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|| =A0\ =A0/
       //_- | =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0\
       ~ =A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 / | =A0 =A0|
       =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|_ / =A0 \ _|

       Thread start