From: "Gopher-Project" <gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org>
       Date: Thu Apr 30 00:39:09 2015
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Adding TLS and/or SSL support to Gopher

       William Orr <will@worrbase.com> wrote:

       > > Two little notes:
       > >       * SSL is dead. There is no secure configuration left. So please
       > >         keep it to TLS.
       > >       * Vhosting should be kept in mind. Gopher doesn't really support
       > >         this but there is no reason not to use multiple hostnames for
       > >         the same server. In this case TLS is used this may become
       > >         relevant as certs may differ. See RFC2817 and RFC6066.
       >
       > HTTP does this with Server Name Indication. That would be a good way to
       > approach the problem in gopher
       > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication).
       >
       > I'd be happy to help implement this in some client/server as well.
       > LibreSSL has added their libtls family of functions, which aims to
       > reduce the difficulty of writing software that uses TLS. The API isn't
       > wholly stable yet, but it's a much better starting point than the
       > madness which is OpenSSL's API.

       I'm not much of a coder but I'd be willing to help test things via
       compiling and/or hosting test servers.  My upstream bandwidth isn't great
       but for gopher stuff it should be fine.  Current gopherd is geomyidae[1]
       running on VIA i386 system.

       I hope some progress can be made with respect to adding encryption to
       gopher; the rest of the Internet seems to be moving in that direction
       and I think gopher risks further malignment if it remains strictly a
       clear-text protocol.

       Jeff / gopher://jgw.mdns.org

       [1] gopher://gopher.r-36.net/1/geomyidae.gph

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Adding TLS and/or SSL support to Gopher
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Adding TLS and/or SSL support to Gopher