From: "Gopher-Project" <gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org>
       Date: Tue Jan 12 13:21:54 2016
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Raspberry Pi, Gopher and UTF-8

       I'm not 100%, but you might be referring to my gopherus client:
       http://gopherus.sourceforge.net/

       Mateusz

       On 12/01/2016 13:09, Kim Holviala wrote:
       > Howdy,
       >
       > I'm 99% sure the problem is not in Rasbian vs. Debian proper - the proble=
       m is actually in Gopher protocol which doesn't specify any charset (it hint=
       s that Latin-1 could be used) and in Lynx which apparently just obeys the p=
       rotocol and console locale settings. OverbiteFF, or actually Firefox, will =
       allow you to override any charset so you can almost always get proper chars=
        on screen, but I'm not sure if such overrides exist in Lynx (elinks does h=
       ave charset overriding but it doesn't support gopher).

       > There was a new console gopher client announced on this list a year ago? =
       I can't remember it's name but search the archives - it does exist.

       > - Kim
       >

       >> On 12 Jan 2016, at 14:00, H=E9ctor A. Abreu <habreu71@gmail.com> wrote:
       >>
       >> Thank you for your reply, Kim.
       >>
       >> I just sent a question about this problem to the Lynx web browser develo=
       pers email list. I basically need a command line based client to view UTF-8=
        gopher correctly from ARM low cost ssh server. I have tested on Raspberry =
       Pi (with and without ssh) but I haven't tested on Beaglebone Black, which i=
       s supposed to use the "real" Debian (compared to Raspbian), and I am not su=
       re if that has anything to do with the problem.

       >> I don't understand why the same client (Lynx) on the same platform (Rasp=
       berry Pi) will display UTF-8 correctly for http but incorrectly for gopher.=
        It means that the problem is not the computer or the browser's UTF-8 setti=
       ngs.

       >> If the Lynx guys help me I will share the solution with this list. Other=
       wise, I guess I will need to test with another gopher command line based cl=
       ient (I will probably check w3m) or start developing one myself.

       >> Regards,
       >> --
       >> H=E9ctor
       >> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 08:53:53AM +0200, Kim Holviala wrote:
       >>> Hi,
       >>>
       >>> Having tested different charsets across gopher servers and clients, the=
        only thing that ever worked properly was 7-bit US-ASCII. Yes, you can try =
       using others like Latin-1 or UTF-8 but the results vary and I'm willing to =
       bet that most users will get a broken screen (unless they know how to mess =
       with browser settings).

       >>> - Kim

       pberry Pi with clients Lynx and Gopher cli on Raspbian Jessie. For example,=
        the links below:

        but gopher link will fail to display correctly with both Lynx and Gopher f=
       rom bash.

       e LXDE) both links will work fine with Lynx, but Gopher cli will fail to di=
       splay gopher link characters correctly.

       ly on a Raspberry Pi using Lynx or Gopher from bash please let me know. I t=
       hink I took care of the locale correctly, otherwise it should not display h=
       ttp link correctly with Lynx. That's why I think this might be an issue rel=
       ated to gopher.

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Raspberry Pi, Gopher and UTF-8
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Raspberry Pi, Gopher and UTF-8