From: gopher-bounce@complete.org
       Date: Tue Jul 21 04:08:14 2009
       Subject: [gopher] Re: Searches as defined by RFC1436

       >     The client sends the server the selector string, a tab, and the search
       >     string (words to search for).
       >
       > When I try this with Veronica-2 on floodgap, I get a "resource not
       > found" error (actually, FF refuses to even process the query):
       >
       > gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/7/v2/vs%09nasa
       >
       > However, this works fine in the following format:
       >
       > gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/7/v2/vs?nasa
       >
       > Is this a discrepancy between the RFC and how this particular search
       > is implemented, or am I reading the RFC wrong?

       It's not the RFC that's tripping you up, it's how Gopher URLs are encoded
       in Firefox. To demonstrate,

       % telnet gopher 70
       Trying...
       Connected to helsinki.floodgap.com.
       Escape character is '^]'.
       /v2/vs  proxy
       1Floodgap Systems gopher root   /       gopher.floodgap.com     70
       [...]

       Firefox's handling is in fact contrary to RFC 4266, which says,

       2.2.  Specifying URLs for Gopher Search Engines

          If the URL refers to a search to be submitted to a Gopher search
          engine, the selector is followed by an encoded tab (%09) and the
          search string.  To submit a search to a Gopher search engine, the
          Gopher client sends the <selector> string (after decoding), a tab,
          and the search string to the Gopher server.

       Nevertheless, this appears to have been abstracted from RFC 3986,

       3.4.  Query

          The query component contains non-hierarchical data that, along with
          data in the path component (Section 3.3), serves to identify a
          resource within the scope of the URI's scheme and naming authority
          (if any).  The query component is indicated by the first question
          mark ("?") character and terminated by a number sign ("#") character
          or by the end of the URI.

       OverbiteFF accepts both syntaxes; the output of URLs

       gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/vs%09proxy
       gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/vs?proxy

       are equivalent.

       --
       -- Remember, Windows is not a virus. Viruses actually do something. -----------
       Thread start
       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Searches as defined by RFC1436
 (DIR) Followup: [gopher] Re: Searches as defined by RFC1436
 (DIR) Followup: [gopher] Re: Searches as defined by RFC1436