From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Tue Jul  6 14:52:19 2010
       Subject: Re: [gopher] Proxy support for OverbiteFF

       > Since the days of official Gopher support in Firefox are
       > numbered, I gave OverbiteFF a try. A great plug-in, thanks a
       > lot!
       >
       > At the company, Port 70 is firewalled though. Until now,
       > I just used an ssh tunnel via my
       > proxy at home to access Gopher which worked fine. It looks to me
       > that OverbiteFF is not yet able to use a Proxy though. It is
       > just timeing out.
       >
       > Sadly I'm no programmer and not able to help out with code, but
       > I'd really like to see Proxy support in OverbiteFF. Of course
       > I'm more than willing to help testing.

       It does support SOCKS proxies -- I know because I tested it with one locally
       and that much works. I need to verify if that also works with Firefox 4.0
       beta, but I don't believe that code was changed. It does work with 3.6.

       Unfortunately it does not work with HTTP proxies because Firefox never
       tunnels the connection under HTTP, I believe. It would require the proxy
       to support the CONNECT method in any case and many of them do not.

       --
       -- Seen on hand dryer: "Push button for a message from your congressman." -----

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] Proxy support for OverbiteFF
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Proxy support for OverbiteFF
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] Proxy support for OverbiteFF