From: gopher-project-bounces+rachael=telefisk.org@lists.alioth.debian.org
       Date: Mon Mar  7 15:36:25 2011
       Subject: Re: [gopher] cgi on Gopher?

       Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com> writes:

       >> One more idea is to integrate an old protocol (Gopher) with an even
       >> older one (SMTP). Have your wiki engine send out the page for editing
       >> via email.

       [...]
       >> That will work even when then user is on a VT100 terminal - as in it
       >> doesn't expect anything special on the client-side.

       That sounds interesting. Even if the web solves this with forms, I
       suppose some people would still like this for web-based wikis.

       >> ... or, you can just expect the reader to have *cough* an AJAX
       >> JavaScript-compatible Gopher reader *cough* *cough* which makes it
       >> possible to have an WYSIWYG editor on top of Gopher queries.
       >
       > Evil man :)

       Evil, I must agree :-)

       The main feature here - I think, IMHO - is being able to deliver the
       user a text field already filled with the current content of the
       article/section/paragraph, so that there's no need to copy-paste. I
       wonder if ASK supports this? (What's exactly supported by ASK? Also,
       what's the right manual to read on ASK? The gopher+ specification?)

       > ISTR when this was talked about before that the idea was to use Telnet and
       > feed the user into some sort of editor. Of course, such an account would
       > need to be VERY tightly secured.

       A good way to do so would be developing a new editor for this specific
       purpose. Kind of what it's done with javascript to add wysiwyg in wiki
       or forum post editing.

       --
       Nuno J. Silva
       gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

       Thread start
 (DIR) [gopher] cgi on Gopher?
 (DIR) Followup: Re: [gopher] cgi on Gopher?